Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Wednesday's Walk - Act Like A Beginner




Wednesday's Coaching Tip - The next time you feel unsure of how to begin a project or what to do next close your eyes and picture yourself as a beginner having fun.  What do you look like?  What are you doing?  How does it feel?  Then take a deep breath and begin just for a few minutes. See what happens.

There are times when we all are afraid to take that first step.  Beginning something new can be intimidating. But if I give myself permission to just try for a few minutes it makes starting easier.  I also remind myself that making mistakes is a big part of the creative process. Thomas Edison said, "I have not failed.  I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work."

When I first started painting I thought every piece should be a masterpiece. I am not sure why I thought that.  I do not have any formal training and I was supposedly painting for enjoyment.  I realize now that I had not given myself permission to play with the paints and to try things just to see what happened. I had not given myself permission to be a beginner.  Beginning something new can be fun.  Living a full life means trying new things and being a beginner over and over again.  It means making mistakes and learning from them. It means not being afraid to try something new because you might not be perfect. 

Try  something new this week.  It could be a new recipe, a new lipstick, or a new way to comb your hair.  Write or paint for just five minutes, take a picture a day, or walk around your neighborhood going in the opposite direction from what you always do.  See how you feel.  Are you having fun?  Are you letting yourself make mistakes?  Give yourself permission to be imperfect.  As you open yourself up to new experiences notice what amazes you, what inspires you, and what makes you happy.  Have fun and enjoy the moment.  Be a beginner - it's fun!

   When you share your dreams and talent with the world, magic happens.  Let the magic begin

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments. It is always such fun to hear from you!