Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Wednesday's Walk - Does Practice Make Perfect?



                           All life is an experiment.  The more experiments you make the better
                                                                                                                        Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday's Walk began as a way to share a coaching tip each week.  When I am walking it is time I also spend thinking and daydreaming.  This week I thought a lot about the old saying "Practice makes perfect."  Does it?  Do I want to be perfect?  Could I be perfect even if that was my goal?  Perfectionism can stand in the way of being creative.  Being afraid of doing something new or taking a chance can stand in your way of growing.  So being perfect is not a goal of mine. Doing my best and enjoying what I am doing is my goal.

I do think practice can help me become better at whatever it is I am doing.  I joined the Index Card A Day challenge rather late but I thought it would be fun to create something on a card each day and see what happens.  The great part of working with an index card is that they are small and inexpensive.  I can play and have fun, use different materials and methods and if it works great.  If  it doesn't, that is ok too.  So my tip this week is -  Be aware of any perfectionistic tendencies you may have and don't let them stand in your way of creating and experimenting with new methods and ideas. Find simple ways to break a big project down and take small steps towards your goal.  And remember to celebrate each and every step you take.  Celebrations help you to remember what you have already accomplished as you move forward with your dreams. 

My desk was really messy before I took my picture for What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday?  I cleaned it  up a little but I left my Derwent Inktense Watercolor Pencils.  I really love the bright intense colors I get when I use them.  They work well on an index card but they really are beautiful on the right watercolor paper.

   Does practice make perfect?  Not always, but it can always be fun and that is really important! 
 Remember:  When you share your dreams and talents with the world, magic happens.  Let the       magic begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments. It is always such fun to hear from you!