Monday, February 18, 2013

When did you realize....?

 
 
I love reality shows.  I especially like shows like Project Runway and Top Chef where you can watch the creative process in action.  I realize that all that I see is not real but I still find the shows fun and sometimes inspiring.

Last night I was watching Top Chef.  The chefs had to create a meal based on the the first time they realized they wanted to be a chef.  Their stories were all different and very interesting.  I always knew that I wanted to be a teacher but when I retired I didn't know what to do next.  Since I always loved to write and draw, I took lots of classes that first year to see if there was something that really excited me.  I enjoyed all of my classes but as my husband would say, I was still searching for the right thing.  I took a class in pastels and it didn't feel right.  So for five years I kept searching.  Then in a class that used different mediums each week I again was introduced to pastels and this time it was like magic.  When I was using them I was having fun.  But I still didn't know that this was what I wanted to do.

One day back in August my husband was working on his model boats and I joined him in the basement.  In about an hour I had painted the above picture.  When I looked at the finished picture, I knew.  I knew that I had found what I was looking for.  I knew I had found what I wanted to do.   It is really a good feeling to know what you love and to be able to spend time doing it. Sometimes that knowledge comes easily and we follow the right path immediately.  Sometimes our journey takes lots of twists and turns.  Sometimes we take this journey alone and sometimes we need the help of others to find what it is we really love to do.  But when you find it nothing feels better!  What is it that you love to do?  Was there a moment when you realized this is what I love to do or have you always known?  I find the stories of other artists very inspiring.  I would love to know yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments. It is always such fun to hear from you!