Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Intuitive Photojournaling

 
 
 
 
Since I began my love of photography, I have resisted learning a lot about the techniques involved in taking pictures.  This is very unusual for me because teaching and learning are as much a part of me as is my name.  But I knew that at least for awhile I just wanted to enjoy the process and learn by doing rather than by reading or being taught what to do.  Last December I finally decided it was time to take a class on how to correctly take a picture.  Let me be sure to say the teacher was excellent and very kind when discussing our pictures.  Before the class I really liked the above picture.  I liked the way the water  sparkled and the way the waves curled.  When I brought my picture to class to share, I learned that the sparkles were really blown out spots and that there was probably a better way to take this picture.  Because I tend to be a perfectionist, this definitely changed the way I viewed the picture. 
This Sunday I was asked to choose a picture from my file for
Kat's Intuitive Photojournaling assignment.   As I was looking through my pictures, I was again drawn to the above picture and to the sparkles on the water. That was when I was reminded once again that beauty is in the eye of the beholder  What may be a blown out spot to one person can be a sparkle to me.  And that's ok!  So no more worrying about techniques.  For now it is enough to be outside with my camera, taking pictures, and enjoying each and every special moment! 

1 comment:

  1. It's nice that you've come back to a photo you liked before a label was put onto those sparkles on the water's surface.
    Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder and it's important to show our own particular photographic eye at each moment of our artistic development. Well done for showing us what is beautiful to you at this moment. I like sparkling water surfaces too... they make the picture come alive.
    Enjoy each and every special moment taking pictures. I do too!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments. It is always such fun to hear from you!